Hello and Good Morning, friends! I hope all of you have enjoyed your weekend! Every week we get closer and closer to the start of SUMMER CAMP and every week it gets harder and harder not to think about it all the time!! Part of the reason I’ve always loved Camp is because of how safe it is.
At the beginning of every week, we start our counselor training by asking why we’re all there- to create an environment that’s physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally safe. (And to HAVE FUN!!!) We usually talk about different practical things we can do to make sure that Camp stays safe- I won’t get into that now, but I will say that it is always so encouraging to start the week off this way.
Today I asked some counselors and friends what makes Camp safe to them. I thought I’d share their responses with all of you! :)
- “On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty,” (1 Corinthians 12:22-23) I also think of this scripture- kids that can sometimes be considered “less than” in the world are often more lifted up at Camp and I think that’s really special.
- It’s a judgment-free zone where you are free to be yourself.
- People and friends around you encourage you to be yourself while being vulnerable as well. So it’s not that you’re the one giving everything while nobody is doing the same- everyone gives everything as well.
- The atmosphere is what really makes me feel safe. It’s so different from what we experience in the world, and knowing that there are people who are working alongside God to help make it stay that way is so comforting. That’s partially why I love counseling as well. Like I remember being terrified in Girls 1 my first year, but my counselor (Katie Cruz) reassured me that Camp was a safe place and I didn’t want to leave by the end of the week because of how comforted I felt. Having the opportunity to make someone else feel that way is so great!!
- Swamp makes me feel safe in the fact that diversity is embraced; and being able to connect the oldest of the campers to the youngest. This past summer getting to team up with Boys 1 as a Boys 8 camper was so encouraging. Getting to show the younger boys what a man of God is and seeing them strive to embody that when giving full attention to us when working together. They bring out the youth in us as well. They remind us to ease up a little and just have fun.
Well, I have nothing more to add, other than the fact that I really love and admire these people, and I’m so glad that they’ll be spending their summer out at Camp. I hope this was as encouraging to all of you as it was to me!
Thank you so much for taking the time to read the blog again. :) As usual, I’ll be praying for each of you to have a safe and encouraging week!